Friday, September 2, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH AUGUST 2011 TEAM CHALLENGE WINNER

Meet Gari Anne of  Bead Lovers Korner:

Who are you?

My name is Gari Anne and I am a coffee-aholic, and also I am the owner and creator of Bead Lovers Korner. I have three grown children (two boys and one girl), in fact we just moved the last one out a couple weeks ago. I also have a Granddaughter but seldom see her since they live up in Missouri, but we share on facebook, phone, text, etc. I am married to a great guy who puts up with me and is a workaholic, but that is OK for now since I spend a lot of time working on my business anyway.

What do you create?
I create things with beads and various other jewelry findings. I hate to say jewelry because everyone these days is making jewelry, while I DO make jewelry, many of the things I make can also be considered an accessory or supply. I also sell beads and jewelry supplies, and I am an authorized seller for Carlo Biagi Jewelry and Landmark Travel Beads which are compatible with Pandora, Troll, and other European style chains.

How did you come about your Etsy store name?
Well, I named the Etsy Store the same name as my business, which actually was created about 10 years ago, I have only been selling on Etsy for a little over a year. So ten years ago I was playing around with Ebay and the Internet, realizing what a wonderful tool it was for business, I also got back into beads and beading about the same time and decided to open a store on Ebay. I have been married several times in my life and when trying to come up with a name for my store I started with all my initials and came up with Gari Anne's Esoteric Bead Lovers Korner, that was way too long so I knocked off the first half and it became Bead Lovers Korner. I was truly excited about this name and the inspiration I had to think of it. So thanks to those guys that couldn't handle me, I got a name for my business!!!

Where does your inspiration come from?
I am half whacked and always have been, so sometimes I just come up with hair brained ideas and images in my mind. In the past year though I have noticed that monthly challenges and the Etsy marketing plans will help me to think creatively about what I have and how I can put something together that fits that scheme. I give thanks to my Higher Power for most of my inspirations!

How would you describe your creative process?
Well, it is kind of like throwing up! I am sorry, I don't mean to gross you out. I get this idea and it's all I can do to keep it inside - so I have to drag my beads out and make something. Sometimes I get thwarted by my lack of a good workspace, but I have a plan on how to make that better and since the kids are gone I can make use of some extra room and set up a permanent work space for my beads.

When did you know you were an artist?
I never really thought of myself as an artist, more of a crafty girl. But I did have someone tell me that what I did in my previous job as a custom catalog editor was an art. So maybe I am :)

What is your favorite material to work with?
Wire, and I would really like to learn to make some of the neat things I see that others have made. I just have not made the time to take anymore classes. I will put that on my To Do list. Along with Mosaic, something I would really like to try!

What is your favorite tool?
Well, I currently don't have one, but I just got a Wubbers and as soon as I practice with it, I am sure it will be a favorite!

What is your life outside of Etsy?
I used to have a job outside the home, but a little over a year ago I convinced my husband to let me work at my bead business full time. Outside of Etsy I have Ebay, and my Website plus all the jobs that it takes to keep everything going. I wear ALL the hats! When I need a break I read, exercise, watch movies, etc. Sometimes we travel, but I don't have any activity that I am tied to.


Is there on online "tool" that you like to use?
I have been playing with Quickbooks online to help with the accounting, it was free for 30 days, but now I pay monthly. It creates all the little neat reports you need when people ask you how much you sold or what is your profit. Before I would just throw my hands in the air, and say "I don't know but I got money and beads!"

What other interests do you have?
I love anything about Ancient Egypt, UFOs, Ancient Aliens, weird stuff like that. I used to go to Star Trek conventions when I was younger... they were lots of fun, you might think that is kind of geeky and I guess it is, but I don't mind being a nerd! I also read a lot of Spiritual material and metaphysics to increase my Spiritual Knowledge, when I make the time to read. My mind is pretty open to different aspects of thinking, in fact that is probably where my creativity comes from, the open mind. Since all knowledge is available all the time, you just have to be open enough to receive.

Where do you live in Florida?
Deltona

Could you recommend a fun activity near your Fl home that other members might enjoy?
Blue Springs, it is nice there all year long! Nature walks and Manatees in the first part of the year, then picnics and swimming, snorkeling or catching some rays in the summer!

What are some other sites to find out more about you and your art?
Blog: beadloverskorner.blogspot.com
Web: www.beadloverskorner.com/
Ebay: stores.ebay.com/Bead-Lovers-Korner
Zazzle: www.zazzle.com/beadloverskorner
Facebook: www.facebook.com/beadloverskorner
Twitter: www.twitter.com/beadlovers

How do you get out of your creative ruts?
Do something else like photography or accounting :)

Where would you like to be in ten years?
I just want to be comfortable and make as much money as I need, I wouldn't mind having a little shop/boutique but I don't know if that is economically worthwhile.

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be?
Mozart, poor guy was a musical genius



Where would you go if you had a time machine and why?
Ancient Egypt because I am just so attracted to the art and culture.

If you were a dessert what would it be and why?
A White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie - The kind that is just a little hard around the edges, soft and yummy in the the middle with White Chocolate morsels that melt in your mouth, and just a little nutty!!

2 comments:

  1. Gari Anne, thanks so much for sharing yourself with the TEAM!! I have admired your designs in the FEST challenges and it is nice to get to know you a little better. Congrats on winning the Team challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous interview with Gari Anne!!!
    Love your beautiful photo too :D
    It is always nice to see the face that goes with the lovely artist's name !!

    Audrey
    aka AudreyGardenLady

    ReplyDelete