Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kyanite Can Be Worn At Night

Sorry guys, but I just can't seem to get away from rhyming. I am sure it will go away soon. Maybe I better see a doctor, LOL!

Anyways, it is Wednesday, and that means I get to share with you some of the gemstones I love the most. Each week I try to pick something unique and different to share. I am a gem geek, so I could go on and on forever.

The ring shown is Kyanite, with Zircon accents. I did not make this ring, but is one of only two rings I have ever bought and not made, the other is one of my wedding bands. Kyanite in its finest quality is this lovely blueberry blue color, that looks just like a top notch sapphire. While buying a loose Kyanite was not a problem, finding a setting to put it in was. You see Kyanite is very fragile. It has a hardness of only 4 if cut in certain directions, and a six in others. Since I do not cut gemstones, this made it incredibly difficult to choose one to buy that was loose and needed setting. Also, if you ever choose to purchase this luscious gemstone, in jewelry, especially bracelets or rings, you need to be sure your stone is protected. Bezel settings would be the best choice, as shown in the picture. The bezel setting will protect the edges of your stone from chipping or breaking. It is not recommended to wear Kyanite as an every day stone, as scratching it can be easy as well. As with all gemstones Kyanite comes in many forms of color and quality. From a light grayish blue color with streaks, all the way up to this lovely blueberry blue color. I did see where there is orange Kyanite being sold. Beware of this, because it is not really orange, but more of a brown color that they call orange. The finest Kyanite comes from Nepal. However, good quality Kyanite is also found in Brazil, and right in the US in North Carolina. Kyanite has strong pleochroism, and will show flashes of red in certain lighting.







1 comment:

  1. From what I have heard about Kyanite, which is one of my favorites in appearance, is that it is in the same family as asbestos. You can actually pull it apart if you split it right. I haven't tried this but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete