Thursday, March 10, 2011

Interview with SEAOATS

Meet Malina of Seaoats:

Who are you, where do you live, and what do you create?
Hi, my name is Malina Lake and Seaoats is my shop. I construct and design eco-friendly bags and pouches. I live in Sarasota, Florida on Siesta Key. I moved down here last year with my husband and one and a half year old daughter from Brooklyn, New York. Before New York it was San Francisco. This is where my husband and I met and lived for ten years before we made the leap over to the East Coast. We moved to Florida to be closer to the beach and family. There are many things that we love and miss about living in the big Cities but right now there's nothing better than living by the beach with our little daughter.



-Where does your inspiration come from?

My new "beachy" surroundings inspired me to open this Etsy shop. My husband is a photographer and with his help, we have transformed his photos into screenprints for my bags. I have always been very eco-conscious (living in San Francisco will do that to you) and knew that I wanted to work with mostly repurposed materials. I find great pleasure in scouring through Thrift Shops and transforming hideous articles of clothing into new and useful little clutches.



- describe your creative process and how do you get out of your creative ruts?
My creative process is kind of all over the place. Since my daughter is top priority, much of my work gets done in the evenings after she's asleep. Sometimes this can be a challenge because on certain days I find myself pretty exhausted once the evening rolls around. On the other hand, I usually get a second wind and can work into the wee hours of the night. I usually separate each task into days. One day, I'll cut fabric, the next day iron, the third day print followed by sewing etc. I find this to have a more rhythmic flow to the whole process. And then there are days when I feel like making something completely unrelated to my shop. This actually works as a nice break and helps to keep things fresh and get me out of my creative ruts.


-Is there on online "tool" that you like to use?
I am a big fan of: craftcult.com


-What is your life outside of Etsy?
What life outside of Etsy? Haha, I am only halfway joking with that response! When I am not eating, breathing, and sleeping Etsy I am a full time mom which doesn't leave room for much of anything else.


-Could you recommend a fun activity near your Fl home that other members might enjoy?
Well, I am fairly new to Florida and I'm sure everyone already knows this, but Siesta Key beaches are BEAUTIFUL! I have traveled to many beaches all over the world and not much compares to the soft snowy white sandy beaches here on the Gulf. It is breathtaking.


-What are some other sites to find out more about you and your art?
I am on
Facebook:    www.facebook.com/seaoats
Twitter: twitter.com/seaoatsss
Cosaverde: cosaverde.com/store/seaoats
and occasionally papernstitch.com/shop/seaoats



-Where would you like to be in ten years?
In ten years I would like to be surrounded by the people that I love and crafting with my beautiful preteen daughter!

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. Using your husband's photos to make the prints for your bags. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bags are so unique! Just a great idea and nice to be able to work with your husband.
    I have visited Sarasota and love going to the plays there.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete