Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Interview with Ohbabydotcom

Meet Melody of Ohbabydotcom:

What do you create?
Boutique quality, handmade hand knit or crocheted creations for baby to children sizes. My little jester hats are different and unique. They are crocheted using the Tunisian crochet knit stitch method, also known as the Afghan stitch, which gives my little hats a great waffle-weave look and feel.

How did you come about your store name?
Just on a whim really. "Oh Baby "The first thing I say when I see a cute baby or a baby dressed in a really cute outfit. "Oh" how cute, or "Oh" how sweet! "Oh Baby" just sort of stuck.

What is the crafting utensil you cannot live without?
Oh! My knitting needles, crochet hooks and yarn.

What is your favorite material to work with?
I really like cotton. And a few months ago I made some sweet booties using silk/rayon and wool blends.

What is your life like outside of Etsy?
Computer graphics and design. We are winding down and getting ready for an early retirement around here.

What is your favorite feature on Etsy?
I love the treasuries that people come up with. They are so interesting. Their connection to each other, different colors and all the great products being sold.I have met so many great people from this venture as an Etsy seller.

What do you enjoy "window shopping" on Etsy on your free time?
Pottery, the little clay figures, of course the baby items, and eatables. Just looking at all the new shops and what they are offering.

Is there an online "tool" that you like to use?
I use the search engine Bing.com a lot, and Google maps. I also love Ravelry.com for patterns and have also met a lot of great people there. YouTube.com has many great tutorials for knitting and crochet techniques. I really like the one by Teresa showing her Tunisian crochet tutorials.

What other interests do you have?
Cooking with herbs, gardening, history and genealogy. Donating and giving back.

Where in Florida do you live?
The Everglades region. Hum, let's see what I love about the Florida? The weather and the Florida wildlife/nature that is truly it's own. You won't find the wetlands anywhere else but here.


Could you recommend a fun activity near your Fl home that other members might enjoy?
There is a Craft Fair coming up in April that the Garden Club in Miami Lakes is hosting that others may like. I think I'm going to check it out. It sounds like a lot of fun.And if anyone is going to Miami soon they should check out the Fairchild's Tropical Botanical Garden. It is such a relaxing, peaceful place to tour and visit.



What are some other sites to find out more about you and your art?
My Blog http://myohbabydotcomblog.blogspot.com/ I've added a "Featured Sellers" page to give a shout out to other Etsy shop owners. If anyone is interested please email me. Just keep in mind I don't have many followers yet.
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/ohbabydotcom Although I don't really know much about it, or what I'm really supposed to do with it. Any hints or ideas?
My Website: http://ohbabydotcom.weebly.com/
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohbabydotcom

What animal would you like to be for one day and why?
I think a Bengal Tiger would be nice. Just one day to be on the prowl, dream what cats dream, find out what humans are all about. Catch up on my sleep.

What “super” power would you like to have and why?
To heal others. What greater joy could there be than helping and healing people.

What was an embarrassing moment in your life?
Too many to list or account for!

Where would you go if you had a time machine and why?
Since I'm such a genealogy buff, I would say traveling back in time to meet my 3rd great grandparents. Their life style would be much different from ours today. It would be both interesting and fun to meet an ancestor that you never knew.

If you were a dessert what would it be?
A Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie.

6 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! I love the little candy corn babay in the pumpkin. Outstanding photography!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Interview! I love to get insight on our members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interview! i love seeing the faces behind all our yahoo group interaction. and that picture of the baby in the santa hat is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your work - especially your little candy corn hat and your knit overalls in your shop.
    Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the interview Etsy FEST!
    and thank you girls for your nice comments!

    I get the biggest "kick" when a mother or photographer sends me a photo of a baby or child actually wearing something handmade by me.
    It just really makes my day special.
    Melody : )
    Oh Baby dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interview and love all these cutesy hats xoxo...

    ReplyDelete