Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Interview with Knitted Wave Studio

Meet Lindsay of Knitted Wave Studio:

Who are you?
I'm a knitting and crocheting fiend who LOVES yarn and designing new things everyday!

What do you create?
I create wearable pieces of art, items that are scintillating. I love color and texture, especially texture. I also love mixing mediums to see what new things can be created from that. I'm inspired by seeing things in an atypical way sometimes, whether its photo collaging on paper and fabric and adding a little paint or using different color and texture in a knitted piece that takes it outside of what it is, putting it in a totally different light.

How did you come about your store name?
I wish it had just come to me in a dream, but the truth of the matter is that I wanted something to incorporate things about me and be catchy, and that took a lot of thinking. I wanted something to do with waves because they are an untamed force of nature and I feel a connection to them. Studio-so I didn't have to limit myself to one medium. Knitted-well that was to make the name unique, and because I love knitting.

What is your favorite material to work with?
My favorite material has to be yarn. I am an open yarn-a-holic. My stash is ridiculously huge, I could probably open up a small yarn shop just with what I have in my cabinets. I know it would be easier to have a small stash and buy for a project but having all those colors and textures there at my fingertips allows my creativity to go wherever it wants and a pretty neat piece sometimes comes from it.

What is your favorite feature on Etsy?
I would have to say the Treasury and Treasury West. I love going through them and looking at all the stuff people pick. I have taken to making them now too. Its free publicity and you can have fun making them too.
What other interests do you have?
I love to jump in the car with my husband and just drive up and down the old state roads. My camera and knitting are always brought along. We stop to take pictures of the sights that you don't normally see and sometimes just to stop and crawl up into a tree and start knitting. I also enjoy surfing and reading even though I don't get to do them that often anymore. I'm not that good at reading while I surf anyway.

Where in Florida do you live?
Well I have lived in Tampa my entire life, except for a quick jaunt in Paris and Louisville, KY for a few months. I like that I am centrally located if I go 30 minutes in any direction I am in a different type of place be it a swamp, beach, forest, or flatlands.

What are some other sites to find out more about you and your art?
My blog http://www.bearfootkitty.blogspot.com/ for updates on treasuries, and deals in my shop or anything I think up.
My twitter www.twitter.com/knittedwave for new items and deals.
My websites for my photography http://www.lindsayenglish.webs.com/ and http://www.bygonephotography.etsy.com/ for purchasing photographs.

Where would you go if you had a time machine and why?
I would probably bounce between times maybe start with 1900 and watch my grandparents grow up so I can see all the stuff I never got to ask them about their lives. I might stay in the 40's for a while that's when my dad was born and the time period that everyone says I should have been born in...that also might have to do with the fact that I was raised mostly by my dad when I was little because he stayed at home.

What “super” power would you like to have and why?
I would want the ability to fly because in all my dreams I always get excited when I realize I can fly and then when I try I end up doing this retarded floating walk kind of thing, every time.

8 comments:

  1. Great interview and great meeting you Lindsay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I really like what you do! Great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you have beautiful designs. Great interview. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shoes are sooooo cute! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview. You are such a talent!
    I love that knitted bag!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for such encouraging words, I really had fun answering all the questions!

    ReplyDelete